Dr. Tim Hopthrow's research covers a broad range of social psychological issues with an emphasis on group processes. These include small group performance and decision making, especially in the context of cooperative behaviour in social dilemmas. His recent work has been examining discussion processes in social dilemmas. He also researches the effects of alcohol consumption on group performance and the impact of mindfulness on judgment and decision making.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Communication, Language
- Group Processes
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Meleady, R., Hopthrow, T., & Crisp, R.J. (2013). Simulating social dilemmas: Promoting cooperative behavior through imagined group discussion. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 104 (5). pp. 839-853.
- Meleady, R., Hopthrow, T., & Crisp, R. J. (2013). The group discussion effect: Integrative processes and suggestions for implementation. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 17, 56-71.
- Weger, U. W., Hooper, N., Meier, B. P., & Hopthrow, T. (2012). Mindful maths: Reducing the impact of stereotype threat through a mindfulness exercise. Consciousness and Cognition, 21, 471-475.
- Zagefka, H., Noor, M., Brown, R., Hopthrow, T., & Randsley de Moura, G. (2012). Eliciting donations to disaster victims: Psychological considerations. Asian Journal of Social Psychology, 15, 221-230.
- Hopthrow, T., Feder, G., & Michie, S. (2011). The role of group decision making processes in the creation of clinical guidelines. International Review of Psychiatry, 23, 358-364.
- Zagefka, H., Noor, M., Brown, R., Randsley de Moura, G., & Hopthrow, T. (2011). Donating to disaster victims: Responses to natural and humanly caused events. European Journal of Social Psychology, 41, 353-363.
- Hopthrow, T., & Abrams, D. (2010). Group transformation: How demonstrability promotes intra-group cooperation in social dilemmas. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 46, 799-803.
- Frings, D., Hopthrow T., Abrams, D., & Hulbert, G. (2008). Groupdrink: The effects of alcohol and group process on vigilance errors. Group Dynamics, 12, 179-190.
- Hopthrow, T., Abrams, D., Frings, D., & Hulbert, L. G. (2007). Groupdrink: The effects of alcohol on intergroup competitiveness. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 21, 272-276.
- Abrams, D., Hopthrow, T., Hulbert, L., & Frings, D. (2006). “Groupdrink”? The effect of alcohol on risk attraction among groups versus individuals. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 67, 628-636.
- Hopthrow, T., & Hulbert, L. G. (2005). The effect of group decision making on cooperation in social dilemmas. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 8, 89-100.
- Groups in Action
School of Psychology
University of Kent
Canterbury CT2 7NP
- Phone: +44 (0) 1227 823951
- Fax: +44 (0) 1227 827030